The need of Design in Additive Manufacturing
Miguel Fernandez-Vicente, Advanced Research Engineer, The Manufacturing Technology Centre
The use of 3D Printing as manufacturing method requires a completely different approach to get the real value from these processes and de-risk their implementation in the production. In this session there will be an introduction of the National Centre for Additive Manufacturing and the approach taken to overcome the challenges that design engineers face when designing parts to be manufactured additively. When to use Additive Manufacturing and how to add value to it from the designer perspective will be the key drivers of the session.
DURING THIS SESSION DELEGATES WILL LEARN:
1. Introduction to the National Centre for Additive Manufacturing
2. 3D Printing vs. Additive Manufacturing. What are the differences?
3. When to use additive manufacturing?
4. How design affects Additive Manufacturing costs & success
5. How to add value to Additive Manufactured components